Pork loin with Normandy Dauphinoise
- 2 boneless pork loin steaks
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 2 medium apples, sharp, crisp and appley, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp sage
- 400ml double cream
- 200ml water
- Flaked sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Normandy pork is a classic French dish (surprisingly) of pork, cider, apples and sometimes cream. It is superb. We thought we would twist it up a little and take another favourite French classic, in the form of Dauphinoise potatoes, and turn them on their head. Here the pork loin is simply seasoned and pan fried. All of the extra flavours and textures are in the creamy potato dish served with it. We have taken potatoes, apples, and fennel, all classic pork flavours, and dauphinoised them; essentially baked them in cream. A little sage, a soupcon of garlic, and a lot of love later you have a divine dish on the table that is bang up to date. Try it; c'est magnifique.
For a less creamy version you can swap the cream for chicken stock, or even cider.
1. Pre heat the oven to 170C/Gas 3.
2. Put the cream, water, garlic and sage in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently for a few minutes to infuse the garlic and then fish it out.
3. Add the fennel and the potato slices, carefully so as not to break them, and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are par boiled.
4. Spoon out half of the slices and lay in a shallow baking dish. Make a layer of sliced apple and cover with the other half of the slices.
5. Pour over the cream and bake for about an hour, until tender right through and golden on top.
6. About 15 minutes before the end, heat the oil in a large frying pan and pan fry the chops for about 8 minutes on each side, until cooked through and crisply brown on the edges. Remove to a plate to rest for a few minutes before serving with the creamy potato dish.
Nutrition (per serving): 800 calories, 420 calories from fat, 47.7g total fat, 199.8mg cholesterol, 268.8mg sodium, 2041.1mg potassium, 69.3g carbohydrates, 7.8g fiber, 14.5g sugar, 28.5g protein.PRINT RECIPE