Super skinni low carb burgers (lettuce wrap burger)
- 4 x Skinni burgers
- 8 x large iceberg lettuce leaves
- 2 x tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp very low fat mayonnaise
- olive oil spray
Part of the joy of eating a burger is the act of eating with your hands. The bunless burger, whilst often delicious in its own right, just completely misses the mark in the sheer pleasure of eating stakes. We have a bit of a 2 for 1 option going on here. The burger in the lettuce wrap is well suited to those super Skinni days and the one in the egg roll is more about specifically dumping the carbs. Made with our popular high protein, low fat burgers from the Skinni Range, this recipe takes the notion of Skinni eating one step further with a truly low carb take on a traditionally high carb favourite. We have made some suggestions for fillings; the lettuce one takes a traditional fresh approach whilst the egg roll mixes it up with a sweet chilli burger and a sauced up pepper/mushroom combo. Who told you that you couldn't have everything?
1. Skinni burgers behave best in a frying pan, with a bit of oil spray. As they are low fat, a boost of moisture at the end keeps them from drying out.
2. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add a spray of oil. Add the burgers and cook for roughly 5 minutes on the first side. Turn them over, cook for 2 minutes and then place a lid or a plate on top. A saucepan lid works quite work; find one that will create a dome over the burgers and sit inside the pan. The steam that this creates will keep the burger moist.
3. Cook for about 3 minutes more and then remove from the pan.
4. Wrap, stacked with fillings, inside the large lettuce leaves. If your leaves are not big enough, spread them out to form a sort of raft shape and then fold them around the fillings.
5. These are not the easiest things to eat, but that is kind of the point; the best burgers never are.
Nutrition (per serving): 255 calories, 46 calories from fat, 5.1g total fat, 1.7mg cholesterol, 23.8mg sodium, 405.6mg potassium, 16.9g carbohydrates, 2.8g fiber, 5.9g sugar, 36.9g protein.PRINT RECIPE